Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Black-eyed pea and vegetable chili bowl
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Warm up the kitchen with this mildly spiced, smoky vegetarian chili that's sure to please the family! Serve with freshly cooked rice or quinoa. Lime wedges add a fresh touch.
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 celery stalks, cut into ½in slices
2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1in chunks
1 orange or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½in pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
¾ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (16oz) can black beans in chili sauce, undrained
1 (15.5oz) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges for garnish
- Spray a Dutch oven with spray oil and place over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook, stirring often, for 5–6 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, cayenne and ½ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the black beans and their sauce, the black-eyed peas, the tomatoes and their juices and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have blended.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve hot with lime wedges.