This classic chilli con carne is a quick and easy recipe that's bursting with fiery flavours that the family will love. If there's any leftovers - take them to work the next day!
- Low calorie oil spray (less than one calorie per spray)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 fresh chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 275ml stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 450g extra lean beef mince (or Quorn mince)
- 1 x 200g can red kidney beans, drained
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 level tablespoon of tomato purée
- Spray a large saucepan with low calorie oil spray and fry the onion gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the garlic, chillies and all the spices and continue frying, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes. Add mince, stirring until it begins to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the liquid is slightly reduced. Season with salt and pepper and add drained kidney beans. Heat through gently for about 5 minutes.
- Slow-cooker alternative: Brown your onions, garlic, chillies, spices and meat as above and transfer to your slow-cooker. Add the canned tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Stir well and cook on ‘medium’ for 6-8 hours. 45 minutes before serving add the kidney beans..
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves.
Tip: Chef's tip: Add chopped yellow and red peppers to your chilli to boost your Superfree.
Replacing beef mince with Quorn mince turns this recipe into a vegetarian delight. The 3 Syns stay the same on Original and the whole recipe becomes Free on Green!
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night!
Visit www.slimmingworld.com/group to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group