Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Classic leek and potato soup
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
This flavorsome and filling soup will warm you from head to toe, perfect for a rainy weekday night.
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
4 cups vegetable stock or broth or chicken broth
1 large leek, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
1½lb Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and finely diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Place the onion in a large pot along with the bay leaves and ½ cup of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the leek under cold water to remove any trapped dirt. Shake well to remove excess water and then thinly slice. Or, slice the leek, rinse in a salad spinner until there’s no grit at the bottom of the bowl and spin dry.
- Add the potatoes and leek to the pot. Pour in the remaining 3½ cups stock and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.
- Discard the bay leaves and transfer the mixture, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and return to the pan. You can also use an immersion blender to puree it right in the cooking pot.
- Whisk in most of the yogurt and reheat gently without boiling. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle into soup bowls, add a swirl of yogurt, sprinkle with black pepper and the chopped chives.