Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Spaghetti and meat sauce
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Gorgeously meaty with a peppery kick, this meat sauce will have you coming back for more!
1lb 95% lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes or whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juices
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1lb dried spaghetti or other pasta
Fresh basil leaves, to serve
4 level tbsp Parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
- Crumble the ground beef into a large, heavy, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to break the chunks, until the meat loses its pink color, 4–5 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5–7 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 25–30 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender. For a thicker sauce, uncover it and simmer about 5 more minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions. Divide the pasta among four plates and serve the sauce over the pasta, with basil leaves and 1 level tbsp Parmesan spinkled over each plate if desired.