Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Spaghetti and meat sauce
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
Gorgeously meaty with a peppery kick, this meat sauce will have you coming back for more!
1lb 95% lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes or whole tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juices
2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1lb dried spaghetti or other pasta
Basil, to serve
- Crumble the ground beef into a large, heavy, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring to break the chunks, until the meat loses its pink color, 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic, oregano, fennel (if using), crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 25-30 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender. For a thicker sauce, uncover it and simmer about 5 more minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions. Serve the sauce over the pasta, with basil leaves spinkled over if desired.