Steak and kidney pie with mash
This classic British pie is the perfect comfort food, just right for the whole family. Serve it with peas or your favourite veg for a filling, sumptuous supper.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 300g beef frying steaks, all visible fat removed, cut into bitesize pieces.
- 100g ready prepared, lamb`s kidneys, white cores removed, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely cubed
- 1 celery stick, finely cubed
- 200g baby button mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 level tsp gravy granules
- 112g ready-to-roll light puff pastry
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 700g floury potatoes, such as maris piper, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 300g frozen or fresh peas
- A small handful each of fresh mint and flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/gas 7. Place a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat. Add the steak, kidneys, carrot, celery, mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, thyme, beef stock and gravy granules. Bring to the boil, then cook over a high heat, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide the mixture between 4 individual pie dishes. roll out the pastry on baking paper and cut out 4 lids. Brush the rim of each dish with a little of the egg, add the pastry lids and seal the edges with a fork. Make a hole in the centre of each pie, then brush the lid with more egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry has risen.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, season, then mash with the fromage frais until smooth. Just before the pies are ready, boil the peas with the mint for 2-3 minutes, then drain and season. Serve the pies with the peas and the mash garnished with parsley.
Tip: You can make an adults-only ale pie by replacing 100ml of the beef stock with the same amount of brown ale, adding ½ syn per serving.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Pay weekly and get half-price membership - a fabulous saving of £5. That’s only £5 to join and £4.95 weekly, making a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.com/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group