Steak and kidney pie with mash
This classic British pie is the perfect comfort food, just right for the whole family. Serve it with peas or your favourite Superfree veg for a filling, sumptuous supper.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 300g beef frying steaks, all visible fat removed, cut into bitesize pieces.
- 100g ready prepared, lamb`s kidneys, white cores removed, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely cubed
- 1 celery stick, finely cubed
- 200g baby button mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 level tsp gravy granules
- 112g ready-to-roll light puff pastry
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 700g floury potatoes, such as maris piper, peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200g fat-free natural fromage frais
- 300g frozen or fresh peas
- A small handful each of fresh mint and flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/gas 7. place a large pan sprayed with low calorie cooking spray over a high heat. Add the steak, kidneys, carrot, celery, mushrooms, onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, thyme, beef stock and gravy granules. Bring to the boil, then cook over a high heat, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide the mixture between 4 individual pie dishes. roll out the pastry on baking paper and cut out 4 lids. Brush the rim of eash dish with a little of the egg, add the pastry lids and seal the edges with a fork. Make a hole in the centre of each pie, then brush the lid with more egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry has risen.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, season, then mash with the fromage frais until smooth. Just before the pies are ready, boil the peas with the mint for 2-3 minutes, then drain and season. Serve the pies with the peas and the mash garnished with parsley.
Tip: You can make an adults-only ale pie by replacing 100ml of the beef stock with the same amount of brown ale, adding ½ syn per serving.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join before 1st November and get HALF PRICE membership! That’s only £5.00 to join and £4.95 weekly – a total of just £9.95 to pay on your first night - a fabulous saving of £5! AND if you join with a 12-week Countdown course you’ll also get two free weeks (out of 12) and a FREE copy of our A Slimming World Christmas cookbook, saving an extra £14.85! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.com/near-me to find your nearest group.
Find your nearest group