Steak and mushroom pie
This recipe's perfect for this Father's Day... don't be put off by the long cooking time. We guarantee that the rich flavour and crisp pastry make it well worth the wait!
- Serves: 4
- Prep. time: 15
- Cook time: 130
- Total time: Over 60 Minutes
Syns per serving:
- 1 medium onion
- 681g/1½ lb lean cubed braising steak
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 284ml/½ pt beef stock
- 227g/8oz closed cup mushrooms
- 3 x 22½g sheets filo pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Peel and slice the onion and place in a pan. Remove all visible fat from the steak, toss in the cornflour and add it to the pan with the bay leaves and seasoning. Add the stock and about 142ml/¼pt water to just cover the beef. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1½ hours until the beef is tender. Cool, then discard the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Quarter the mushrooms and place in a 1136ml/2pt pie dish. Add the beef and onions using a slotted spoon, and pour over about 200ml/7floz of the cooking liquid to come halfway up the dish. The meat will come to the top, but once the mushrooms cook down the level will sink.
- Brush each sheet of pastry with egg, lightly scrunch up and place on top of the meat, pulling the sheets out to make sure all the meat is covered. Brush generously with egg and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 180°C/Gas 4 and continue to cook for a further 20 minutes until golden and hot. Serve with green vegetables.
You'll discover 100's more recipes in group!
Join Slimming World before 28th December and get your FIRST WEEK FREE! That’s just £10 to pay on your first night – a fabulous saving of £4.95! After that bring a new member and get a week free.
Visit www.slimmingworld.com/group to find your nearest group.