Pack the ultimate spread of healthy picnic food
What better way to enjoy a summer meal than from a picnic blanket? With Slimming World’s healthy eating plan, called Food Optimizing, you can pack your basket with tons of filling, delicious foods, to fuel a day of outdoor fun and keep your weight loss on track.
Pack picnic classics. Many go-to picnic foods are Free Food with Slimming World, meaning you can eat until you’re satisfied—no weighing, counting or measuring needed. These portable picks can be enjoyed by the whole group, and they’re all Free Food.
- Chicken drumsticks (skin and visible fat removed)
- Sliced lean deli meat
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Pickles (no sugar added)
- Boiled potatoes and veggie crudite with a quick dip made of fat-free plain Greek yogurt mixed with herbs, garlic, salt and pepper
- Cut-up fruit—apples, berries, grapes, citrus, melons and anything between!
Fill up with hearty dishes. These recipes are all filled with Free Food, delicious cold or at room temperature, and will keep you and your crew going for an all-day picnic.
- An easy frittata is perfect for feeding a crowd at a picnic. Change up the meat and veggies based on whatever you have on hand, or what’s in season.
- Make a quick, Free Food-packed pasta salad with cooked meat (skin and visible fat removed), cut-up veggies, a drizzle of fat-free Italian vinaigrette and a handful of chopped fresh herbs for extra flavor.
- Bulk up salads with grains and beans to make them even more filling—as a bonus, they won’t wilt and taste better the longer the flavors meld together, like in this chicken, corn and black bean salad.
For food safety, aim to leave food out at room temperature for 2 hours max—anything left out longer is best discarded.
Sip and stay hydrated. There are lots of on-plan drinks that go beyond plain water, though that’s always a good option (and frozen water bottles handily double as ice packs).
- Diet or zero sodas
- Unsweetened iced tea—add lemon slices if you like
- Seltzers or sparkling water (for flavored varieties, look for those with less than 5 calories per serving)
- Drinks made with sugar-free mixes (labeled less than 5 calories per serving).
Add in a frisbee or a ball to toss around, a checkered blanket, and you’re perfectly picnic-ready!