Slimming World recipe makeover: eggnog
As the holidays draw near and we gather with family and friends, there’s nothing better than toasting together with a festive drink—and eggnog is as festive as it gets for the holidays.
This traditionally rich drink can play havoc with our weight loss, so we whipped up a lighter, just-as-tasty Slimming World version. Combine flavorful citrus, vanilla, cinnamon, and—yes, a splash of rum to make it extra-festive—and you’ve got a recipe for delicious, no-guilt ‘nog. Cheers to the holidays!
Slimming World eggnog
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
3 level Tbsp. sugar substitute
1 level tsp. cornstarch
2 cups fat-free milk
2 strips orange or lemon zest
1 vanilla bean or ½ tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. white rum
Freshly grated nutmeg or ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar substitute and cornstarch until well blended. Set a fine strainer over another medium bowl and place that bowl in a larger bowl of ice water.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, combine 1½ cups milk and the citrus zest. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds; add the seeds and pod to the saucepan or add the vanilla extract. Heat the milk over low heat just until it’s steaming and small bubbles form at the edge. Remove from the heat.
- One ladleful at a time, whisk about half of the hot milk into the eggs to warm up and temper them, whisking constantly. Pour the egg mixture into the milk in the saucepan.
- Place over low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon until the eggnog begins to thicken and coats the back of a metal spoon, 3–4 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour the eggnog through the strainer into the other bowl. Then stir in the remaining ½ cup milk to stop the cooking. When cool, remove from the ice, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the zest and vanilla bean. Add the rum, pour evenly into 6 small cordial glasses and grate a little nutmeg over each or sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.