Start your weight loss journey today and you could be more than 20lbs* lighter in 3 months.
BBQ pulled pork
3 hours 5 minutes
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
Start with this smokin' hot oven-baked pulled pork recipe, then add steamed green beans and Slimming World fries for a new Food Optimizing favorite.
2 tsp. paprika
1½ tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dry mustard
½ tsp. garlic powder
2½ lb. boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of all visible fat and silver skin
½ cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
For the sauce:
1½ cups tomato puree
⅓ cup sweet onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. sugar substitute
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. salt
6 (2-oz. each) whole-wheat rolls, to serve (optional)*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set out a Dutch oven with a lid.
- For the rub, mix the paprika, chili powder, cumin, mustard and garlic powder in a cup. Coat the pork loin all over with the rub and place in the Dutch oven. Carefully pour the broth and cider vinegar around the pork.
- Cover and bake for between 2 hours–2 hours 20 minutes, until the pork is cooked through and easily breaks apart with a fork but still looks moist.
- Remove the pork from the oven and place in a shallow baking dish, reserving the pan juices. Set aside to cool for approximately 15 minutes, then shred into bite-sized pieces using two forks.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Put the tomato puree, onion, cider vinegar, sugar substitute, Worcestershire sauce, crushed red pepper, garlic powder and salt in a heavy, medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat. Reserve ½ cup for dipping.
- Mix the pan juices and the remaining sauce with the pulled pork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve sandwiched in the rolls, if desired, with the reserved sauce.