If you can’t find baby kale, which is sold in bags, sometimes with other greens, buy Lacinato or curly kale. Then cut out the stems, thinly slice the greens and massage with ½ teaspoon kosher salt for about 2 minutes, to tenderize them.
Cajun chicken with spicy potato wedges and kale-carrot salad
1 hour 10 minutes
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
Spicy chicken, sweet corn and a fresh kale salad—gather the family around and dig in!
4 bone-in chicken drumsticks, skinned, visible fat removed
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned, visible fat removed
2 lbs. large new potatoes, quartered into wedges
2 Tbsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 ears of corn, shucked, each cut in half crosswise
A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
For the salad:
¼ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
2 tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. yellow mustard
Pinch sugar substitute
4 cups baby kale, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded
4 scallions, thinly sliced
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray*.
- Make a few slashes into the chicken drumsticks and thighs and put them in the prepared pan with the potato wedges. Sprinkle with the Cajun or Creole seasoning and lemon juice and toss everything together.
- Roast for 50 minutes, turning occasionally. Halfway through the cooking time, move the chicken and potatoes to one side of the pan. Add the corn and continue cooking with the chicken and potatoes until all is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the salad. In a medium serving bowl, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, mustard and sugar substitute with a fork, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the kale, carrots and scallions and mix well, adding more salt or lemon juice to taste.
- Divide the spicy chicken, potatoes and corn among 4 plates, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with the salad on the side.