Start your weight loss journey today and you could be more than 20lbs* lighter in 3 months.
Chicken cottage pie
1 hour 50 minutes
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This comforting chicken cottage pie is family-friendly and promises to be an instant hit in your household. It’s a great use for leftover chicken.
1 lb. russet baking potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” pieces (2½ cups)
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
¼ cup chicken broth
1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the filling
1 large or 2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, well rinsed of grit and thinly sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½” slices
1 (8-oz.) container button mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. dry chicken gravy mix
1 cup chicken broth
1 lb. cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into ½” pieces (3 cups)
1 cup frozen peas or French-cut green beans
1 tsp. dried tarragon
*Please note up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays used.
- Put the russet and sweet potatoes into a large saucepan. Add water to just cover and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 10–15 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain well and return to the pot.
- With a potato masher, mash the potatoes until mostly smooth, adding the ¼ cup broth. Stir well, then season with salt and pepper to taste and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Spray a large, deep, ceramic or nonstick skillet with cooking spray* and place over medium heat. Add the leeks, carrots and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, put the gravy mix. Whisk in the 1 cup broth until smooth, then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chicken, peas or French beans, the tarragon, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the vegetables and toss well. Add the gravy mixture and bring to a boil, stirring to mix all ingredients. Transfer to a 12x8” baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the chicken mixture and brush the top with the beaten egg (there may be some egg left over). Decorate the crust with the tines of a fork. Bake the pie for 45–50 minutes or until the top feels dry and the filling is bubbly. Let cool a few minutes before serving.