Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This red, white and blue dessert is a cinch to make and perfect to salute our nation on any patriotic holiday.
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray a 15 x 11-in rimmed baking pan (jelly-roll pan) with cooking spray*.
- Put the cake mix in a large bowl, add the water, eggs, and egg yolk and blend with a hand-held mixer to combine, then beat with the mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread smooth with a thin metal spatula.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cake is lightly browned, springy to the touch, and has shrunk from the sides. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Evenly spread the whipped topping over the cake, still in the pan, and freeze for 1-1 ½ hours to set the topping. Then, using the blueberries or blackberries, arrange them in a square in the left-hand corner of the cake. Arrange the raspberries in rows to make the stripes of the flag. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day before serving, but this is best served the day it’s made.