Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Green bean pasta
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Green beans add a burst of color and fresh flavor to this hearty pasta dish—with a mild kick from red chili!
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chili pepper, seeds removed and chopped
½ tsp fennel seeds
1lb plum tomatoes, chopped (3 cups)
¾lb dry penne pasta
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¾lb fresh green beans, each cut diagonally into 2 or 3 pieces (3 cups)
- Spray a large, lidded, nonstick skillet with spray oil and place over medium heat. Add the garlic, chili pepper and fennel seeds and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the lid and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, steam the green beans over boiling, salted water for 3–4 minutes or until just tender.
- Stir the beans into the tomato sauce, season the sauce with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. In a serving bowl, toss the penne with the tomatoes and beans and loosen the sauce with a little of the pasta cooking water if needed. Serve hot.