Start your weight loss journey today and you could be more than 20lbs* lighter in 3 months.
Leave-alone pea and ham risotto
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
Here’s a tasty, filling risotto that’s family-friendly, and quick and easy to make. What's not to love?
½ sweet onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
8–10 oz. smoked ham steak or leftover ham, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into ¼” cubes
½ tsp. dried thyme
1½ cups dry Arborio (risotto) rice
2¼ cups boiling chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed (optional)
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays.
- Spray a large, heavy saucepan with cooking spray* and place over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until nearly tender. Add the ham and thyme, and cook, stirring, until the ham is heated through.
- Stir in the rice, chicken broth and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Fluff the risotto with a fork, stir in the peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans in lightly salted water boiling water for 5–8 minutes, or until tender, then drain.
- Serve the risotto accompanied by the green beans, or a tossed salad if you prefer.