Start your weight loss journey today and you could be more than 20lbs* lighter in 3 months.
Leave-alone pea and ham risotto
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
Here’s a tasty risotto that doesn't need much time and effort, so you can spend more time with your dinner guests. What's not to love? Add even more richness with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, only 1½ Syns per delicious level tablespoon.
½ sweet onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
8–10 oz. smoked ham steak or leftover ham, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into ¼” cubes
½ tsp. dried thyme
1½ cups dry Arborio (risotto) rice
2¼ cups boiling chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
½ lb. fresh green beans, trimmed (optional)
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays.
- Spray a large, heavy saucepan with cooking spray* and place over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until nearly tender. Add the ham and thyme, and cook, stirring, until the ham is heated through.
- Stir in the rice, chicken broth and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- Fluff the risotto with a fork, stir in the peas, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the green beans in lightly salted water boiling water for 5–8 minutes, or until tender, then drain.
- Serve the risotto accompanied by the green beans, or a tossed salad if you prefer.