- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This five-star recipe has lean ground beef, beans and cheese—all the best nacho toppings! Serve with a large side salad to round out the meal.
1 lb. uncooked pasta (any short shape will work)
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
1 tsp. chili powder
1½ tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. oregano
⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
¼ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
1 (15-oz.) drained can pinto beans
4 oz. low-fat cheddar, divided
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chilis
½ cup scallions, chopped
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray* are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain and set aside.
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray* and sauté the onion and bell peppers until softened. Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until browned, draining off any excess fat.
- Add the spices and seasonings to 1 cup of water, then pour over the ground meat and simmer. Mash the beans roughly with a fork and add to ground beef, along with half the cheese.
- Spray a 9x13” pan with cooking spray*. Spread half the diced tomatoes with green chilis over the bottom of the pan. Spread the drained pasta over the tomatoes, then top with the ground meat mixture.
- Pour the remaining diced tomatoes with green chilis over the top, then sprinkle with the scallions and the remaining cheese. Cover and bake for 35–40 minutes.