Start your weight loss journey today and you could be more than 20lbs* lighter in 3 months.
Leftovers are good cold or reheated in a microwave.
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This Italian-inspired dish gives you all the taste of a cheesy pizza, for Free! Serve with a huge tossed salad, a baked potato or Slimming World fries.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 small red onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5-oz.) undrained can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
8 oz. low-fat cheddar, shredded
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional 5 sprays.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and spray a large rimmed baking pan with cooking spray*.
- One at a time, cut each chicken breast in half horizontally, being careful not to cut it the whole way through. Open it up to make a butterfly shape. Place the chicken between a heavy zip-top bag that’s been slit open on one side or between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy pot to an even thickness, about ¼”.
- Place the pounded breasts in a single layer on the prepared baking pan Season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the oregano. Bake for 10–13 minutes, or until no longer pink in the thickest part. Remove from the oven, but keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, spray a heavy, large skillet with cooking spray* and place over medium heat. Cook the red onion, bell pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until crisp-tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining ½ teaspoon oregano. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Mash a few times with a potato masher to break up big chunks of tomato and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until thickened and flavorful (if it’s very thick, add 1–2 tablespoons of water).
- Spoon ¼ (about ½ cup) of the sauce over each chicken breast. Sprinkle each with 1½ ounces of the cheese and a little basil, then top with a halved cherry tomato. Return to the oven and bake for about 5 more minutes, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly, then serve.