Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This Italian-inspired dish gives you all the taste of a cheesy pizza, with a few healthy swaps. Leftovers are great cold or reheated in a microwave.
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp dried oregano, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small red onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tbsp tomato paste
6oz mozzarella, part-skim or whole milk, shredded
Fresh basil, roughly chopped
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a large rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.
- One at a time, cut the chicken breast in half horizontally, being careful not to cut it the whole way through. Open it up to make a butterfly shape. Place the chicken between a heavy zip-top bag that’s been slit open on one side or between sheets of plastic wrap. Pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy pot to an even thickness, about ¼in.
- Place the pounded breasts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season to taste on both sides with salt and pepper and sprinkle with ½ tsp of the oregano. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until no longer pink in the thickest part. Remove from the oven, but keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, spray a heavy, large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the red onion, bell pepper and garlic; sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring often, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining ½ tsp oregano. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Mash a few times with a potato masher to break up big chunks of tomato and simmer, uncovered, until thickened and flavorful, 10 minutes (if it’s very thick, add 1-2 tbsp of water).
- Spoon ¼ (about ½ cup) of the sauce over each chicken breast. Sprinkle each with 1½oz of the mozzarella, a little basil and top with a halved cherry tomato. Return to the oven and bake about 5 more minutes, until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly.
- Serve with a huge tossed salad and Slimming World fries.