To make in advance, prepare the pie, then cover it with foil and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready for dinner, transfer it to the oven and bake until it’s heated through. You can freeze the meatballs and sauce without the pasta.
Spaghetti and meatball pie
1 hour 25 minutes
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
This tasty, unique riff on the Italian-American favorite can be made up to one day ahead, saving you time and energy during a busy week.
1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
1 large egg
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. sliced fresh basil, plus more for garnish
10 oz. dried spaghetti
For the sauce:
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 (28-oz.) can tomato puree
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 level cup grated Parmesan cheese
A large side salad tossed with fat-free Italian dressing, for serving
*Up to 10 short sprays of any cooking spray are Free. After that, count ½ Syn for every additional five sprays used.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9" deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray*.
- Make the meatballs by combining the beef, egg, garlic powder, and basil in a bowl; season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix until well combined. Divide and form the mixture into 12 meatballs and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until the meatballs are cooked through, 12–15 minutes; let cool. Cut six of the meatballs into thin slices. Cut the remaining six meatballs in half; set aside.
- While the meatballs are baking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to package instructions; reserve ½ cup pasta water, then drain spaghetti into a colander. Rinse spaghetti under cold water, drain, then transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- To make the sauce lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray* and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates, 6–8 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss 3 cups of the sauce and the reserved ½ cup pasta water with the spaghetti until sauce is incorporated. Add the beaten eggs and toss well to coat. Place half of the spaghetti into the prepared pie dish. Layer the sliced meatballs on top, then sprinkle evenly with a level ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Cover with the remaining spaghetti and arrange the meatball halves, cut-side down, over the top.
- Spoon the reserved 1 cup of sauce over the top, cover with foil, and bake until the pie is heated through, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle pie evenly with remaining level ½ cup Parmesan cheese and basil, cut into four wedges, and serve with the side salad.