Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Shrimp fried rice
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Total time:
Trade your takeout menu for this slimmed-down dish. It’s a meal in itself, but feel free to add in any extra veggies you have on hand.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Fluff with a fork, and then spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a small bowl, with a fork, beat the eggs, 1 tbsp water, ¼ tsp soy sauce and a pinch of salt until well blended. Spray a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook 2–3 minutes, lifting edges a little and gently shaking the pan to make sure the egg doesn’t stick until it’s nearly set. Slide onto a plate and let cool. Then roll the omelet up and cut into thin strips.
- Rinse the shrimp with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Add the garlic and ginger and toss to coat.
- Spray a nonstick wok or large, deep nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the shrimp, mushrooms and onion and cook, tossing frequently, for 5–6 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and nearly cooked through. Add the cooled rice and peas and cook, tossing, for 2–3 more minutes, until the peas and rice are heated through. Add the remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce and the oyster sauce, stir to mix and cook, tossing, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Place the omelet strips on top of the rice. Cover and let stand 1 minute off heat, or until ready to serve.