Join today for $30 for 3 months and no additional membership fee. After that, your membership will renew for just $10 per month.
Spicy shrimp stir-fry
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Shrimp add a touch of luxury to this super stir-fry, which is packed with exciting flavors. This recipe is mildly spiced but if your family prefers it hot, you could use hotter chili peppers or the larger amount of crushed red pepper.
8oz dry rice vermicelli noodles
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1½in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 red or green chili pepper, seeds removed, cut into thin strips
¾ cup vegetable stock
Bunch of scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
3 cups (10oz) mixed stir-fry vegetables, fresh or frozen
2 bok choy, trimmed, leaves separated and stalks thinly sliced
8oz large shrimp, thawed if frozen
Salt to taste
¼ to ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Spray a nonstick wok or large nonstick skillet pan with spray oil. Place over low heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chili pepper and fry for 2–3 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Pour in the stock and add the scallions and lime juice. Simmer for 3–4 minutes then pour into a measuring cup and wipe the wok with paper towel.
- Spray the wok with more spray oil. Place over medium heat. Add the stir-fry vegetables, bok choy stalks and 2 tbsp of the vegetable stock. Cook, stirring often, until nearly tender, about 4 minutes, adding 1 tbsp more stock if pan gets dry. Add the bok choy leaves, shrimp, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, to taste, and noodles. Pour in the scallion mixture and stir-fry for another 2–3 minutes, until shrimp are pink, firm and just opaque in the thickest part. Serve hot in deep bowls.